Wednesday, February 3, 2010

LMS to the Rescue

For those not in the "know", LMS stands for learning management systems. LMS formats, tools, and general usefulness in course organization have come a long way since my first exposure to them in late 1990's. I was very excited to learn about new features in eLearning Commons in class yesterday.

I particularly enjoyed learning how the assignment tool worked. As a lab TA I can see how this tool, complete with a grading form, could help produce more consistent grades on lab reports. This is particularly true when the lab course has more than one TA, and grading consistency becomes a big issue. Unfortunately the grading form and assignment tool are not perfect. Applying these tools to courses with large enrollments in quite time consuming and cumbersome. I hope that in the future these tools become more streamlined.

Next week our group will present our "Tech Talk" in class. Our topic is virtual demonstrations. I am excited to hear what experiences other people have had with virtual demos.

3 comments:

  1. I am really new to LMS. Except for the administrative stuff, something interesting is yet to happen in my world of LMS... so yea I'll have to wait for that, or may be just end the wait myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, your thoughts on the time required to use the assignments tool and grading forms for large classes is closely-mirrored in another class blog - at what point is it worth it to put in the time to organize the TAs and set up the technology in order to be more efficient later? Good question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Derek, I can see the grading rules being not the same by all graders. I think this arises from the answers being subjective in nature. Grading forms might be implementable if the questions are formed in such a way that they have subjectivity (of the student) removed from them, but is that desirable......I cant say much.

    ReplyDelete