Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Virtual Demos Tech Talk

Today we hosted the first tech talk of the semester, and our topic was virtual demos. I thought that are talk went well. It is certainly hard to cover all of the material related to technology in an hour, but I think we did a good job of giving an overview.

Virtual demos present many pros and cons to the educator. There are considerations such as cost, layout, and time in selecting a virtual demo just to name a few. I think virtual demos are best used when utilizing a hands-on activity is not practical in the present classroom setting. I think that virtual demos also provide an effective tool for students to see abstract and microscopic concepts in an up close and personal manner. This assumes of course that the demo is presented effectively to the learner. I have yet to find a comprehensive list of guidelines for designing an effective virtual demo, so I leave you today with a question. What things must we consider when designing an effective virtual demo?

3 comments:

  1. Derek, may be its an opportunity to write a book "Guidelines for designing an effective Virtual demo".....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the VFT article we had discussed, there are some details about the requirements for an effective virtual demo.... I am almost positive that there are bits and pieces out there... but maybe pulling all together would make a great reference book for all teachers willing to incorporates such pedagogical methods

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off the top of my head, I would say it's very important to have clear goals of using VD. And more, of course...

    ReplyDelete