Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Perspectives and Learning New Things

Throughout our class discussion today I could not help but reflect on the various teachers I have observed. I tried to figure out which teaching perspective each might have as a dominant perspective based on their teaching style. I eventually concluded that what perspective a teacher displays on one particular day, is probably influenced by a number of factors. Those factors almost always include the instructors mood, previous experience with the topic, and demeanor of the class. It is very interesting to me how our past influences our perspective and hence the way we convey information when teaching students. I suppose this just one of the things that makes learning interesting and complicated at the same time.

Speaking of learning, it was great to learn about some new technologies that other members of my group have used during our team huddles today. I look forward to investigating these new technologies as we move forward in the course. I am also excited to learn from other teams as they present information about different technologies. I suspect that in most cases the team will be novices when it comes to the technologies they present about, and I think it is great to learn about a new technology from someone who has limited experience with it. Learning about the new technology is easier this way, because detailed explanations are frequently provided.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Yes Derek,
    learning a new technology from a novice is kind of fun because both are probably going through the same growth curve. I guess there will be a slight difference when u as a novice learn by yourself, instead of being taught by one.
    We'll see how that goes huh ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY friends collaborate research meetings with skype using audio and video. I have taken part in webinars. Not sure how webinars are organized. Probably there is a module in this course that covers this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really enjoyed learning about the technologies my group members knew of, as well. All I know is excitement about clickers is catching. :)

    ReplyDelete